Student Experiential Learning Grant (SELG)
To encourage Social Sciences students to seek learning experience across the variety of diverse activities, the Faculty of Social Sciences has set up the Student Experiential Learning Grant (SELG). This Grant will provide financial support for students engaging in non-local experiential learning opportunities.
Who is eligible?
- Students who are studying the UGC-funded undergraduate programmes offered by the Faculty of Social Sciences, HKBU, with a cumulative GPA of 2.33 or above.
- Students who will graduate prior to the experience taking place are NOT eligible.
- Students may submit only one application at a time.
- Priority will be given to the first application of Individual/Group and without other funding support.
What activities are eligible?
Non-local activities (non-credit bearing) in which the individual applicant / small group is actively participating. This might include:
- Internship / Placement
- Field Trip
- Study Tour
- Training Course / Workshop
- Research Project
- Community Project
- Conference / Seminar
Diversity of the above activities is highly recommended.
Applicant should invite a teaching staff (normally from the major Department) to be the Mentor/Advisor of the proposed activity. Application should be reviewed by the Mentor/Advisor and recommended by the Department before submitting to the Faculty.
What activities/budget items are ineligible?
Normally the following items are NOT considered for funding:
- Activity from a Major / graduation required / credit-bearing course
- Food or beverages
- Equipment (e.g. computer, software, furniture, books, audio-visual equipment, etc.)
- Payment for the guest speakers, volunteer or research participants
- Medical or legal costs for the experience (e.g. vaccinations, passports, travel insurance, etc.)
- Activity for which the student receives remuneration to cover all the expenses incurred from transportation, accommodation or registration
- Activity for which the student receives funding from other sources to cover all the expenses incurred from transportation, accommodation or registration
- Retroactive funding for experiences commencing or project expenses incurred prior to the deadline of application
- Activity for which the student has received previous Student Experiential Learning Grant (SELG)
- Activity for which students cannot provide individual itemized receipts for grant expenses incurred
What is the level of funding?
|Type||Approved Grant||Maximum Amount (HK$)|
|Individual||50 – 70 % of the estimated cost||HK$ 3,000|
|Group (2 students)||50 – 70 % of the estimated cost||HK$ 6,000|
|Group (3-5 students)||50 – 70 % of the estimated cost||HK$ 10,000|
What items would be granted?
Please refer to the Guidelines for more details.
- Travelling expenses
- Accommodation expenses
- Registration fees
APPROVAL OF GRANT
Each application will be evaluated by the Faculty Learning and Teaching Committee (FLTC) based on the following items as well as overall quality.
(a) Provide a complete description of the planned activity
(b) Describe the benefit of the activity on your global outlook, and/or academic development, and/or personal development, and/or professional development, and/or other areas
(c) Describe your action plans to achieve your learning objectives (feasibility and ability to undertake the activity will be considered)
(d) Provide a detailed budget proposal (actual breakdown with official receipts after completion)
1. Applicants may be invited for interview.
2. The grant approval criteria are subject to review every year.
3. The Faculty of Social Sciences reserves the final rights for applications approval and the final decisions of the amount of support to be allocated according to the availability of funds.
Applicants should submit the followings to the Faculty Office by email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before the application deadline:
A completed Application Form
Proposed expenses with quotations clearly tabulated
Supporting documents with details about the activity or any other relevant supporting documents
|Round||Eligible Activity Dates||Application Deadline||Download Guidelines||Download Application Form|
Between 1 December 2019 – 31 May 2020
Activity out of this period will NOT be considered
|21 October 2019|
- Incomplete / late application will NOT be considered.
- Individual / group applications submitted with the same activity proposal stated in Section B (1-9) of the Application Form will NOT be approved.
- The applicant / group leader must state clearly whether the proposed activity has received or is in the process of soliciting other source(s) of funding in Section B (10-11) of the Application Form.
UPCOMING ROUNDS OF APPLICATION
Eligible Activity Dates
(Activity out of the period will NOT be considered)
|Application Period||Application Deadline|
Between 1 April 2020 to 31 August 2020
Semester 2, 2019/20
(Around Jan to Feb 2020)
17 February 2020
Between 1 June 2020 to 31 January 2021(Final year applicants: 1 June 2020 - 31 August 2020)
Semester 2, 2019/20
(Around Feb to Apr 2020)
24 April 2020
The above dates are for reference only. Please stay-tuned for the latest announcement and update.
Faculty of Social Sciences, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Miss Gloria CHAK
- Tel : (852) 3411 5949
- E-mail : email@example.com
- Office : AAB 1325, Academic and Administration Building, Baptist University Road Campus, HKBU