How to Apply


Download the promotional poster for 2024-25 RPg programme admission HERE.

Application Requirements

Applicants seeking admission to the MPhil programmes normally have a good bachelor's degree with honours from a recognized university or an equivalent qualification. To be considered for admission to the PhD programmes, applicants normally have either a master's degree or a strong bachelor's degree from a recognised university / institution.


Applicants seeking admission whose university / institute’s medium of instruction / examination is not English are required to obtain a minimum score in the:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 79 (Internet-based Test); or
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 6.5

How to Apply

Applicants are required to submit the following supporting documents along with the application:

  • Photocopy(ies) of HKID card (for local applicants) / Passport or other identity documents from the home country (for non-local applicants)
  • Degree certificate(s) / graduation diploma(s) and transcript(s) (including the university / institution’s grading system) for verifying academic qualification(s) supporting the application
  • English proficiency test result(s) (e.g. TOEFL / IELTS results)
  • Certificate(s) / supporting document(s) of scholarship(s) and prize(s)
  • Certificate(s) of professional qualification(s)
  • Sample(s) of publication(s) or research work(s) / record of research experience / publication list
  • Confidential Recommendation Form(s)



Application Deadline:


For September 2024 Entry:

1 December 2023 

(applications submitted after 1 December 2023 will be considered as entries for September 2025)


** Since admission offers are highly competitive and are subject to quota availability, applicants are strongly advised to submit the application before the above-mentioned deadlines. 

Information for Non-local Applicants

The Immigration Department of the HKSAR Government requires all full-time non-local students (both international and from Mainland China) to obtain a student visa in order to study in Hong Kong. Non-local students are defined as students holding student visa / entry permit, visa under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates, or dependent visa issued by the Director of Immigration who are aged 18 years old or above before 1 September of the year in which they are admitted to relevant post-secondary programmes in Hong Kong. Part-time non-local students should possess appropriate and valid visa to prove their eligibility to stay and study in Hong Kong.



Admission Enquiries