Applications for programmes are made through Graduate School.
To apply, please submit your application through the Online Application System for Admission for Postgraduate Studies
1 December 2020 (for commencement of study in September 2021.)
Applications received after 1 December 2020 will normally be considered for admission in September 2022.
For admission-related enquiries, please contact the Graduate School:
Tel: (852) 3411 5127
Fax: (852) 3411 7373
The Faculty offers two research-based degrees, namely Master of Philosophy (MPhil), & Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). Our MPhil and PhD students are supervised by a Department-based scholar and choose additional supervisors from the same or other Departments, or other universities.
- Emphasis on trans-disciplinary problem-solving.
- Global diversity. Our current and recent graduates come from Hong Kong, China, and a further 14 countries across Asia, Europe, Africa and North America.
- Financial and professional support for conference participation and overseas placements.
- Caring and cohesive graduate community. Our students have an effective voice in Faculty governance, and network with/ learn from peers from across our social sciences disciplines, all housed in one building.
- Opportunities to take courses and attend lecture across Hong Kong's universities and to access data and field across China and South East Asia.
- A flexible range of funding models including government scholarships, Faculty scholarships, and Department scholarships
Applicants seeking admission to the MPhil programme have a good bachelor's degree with honours from a recognized university or an equivalent qualification. For the PhD programme, applicants have either a master's degree or a strong bachelor's degree from a recognised university/institution.
Students pursuing PhD and MPhil studies concentrate on an independent research project under the guidance of their supervisors. Coursework is integrated into the Programmes to underpin research studies.
Students admitted in or before AY 2018/19 are expected to complete the programme in 36/72 months of PhD (full-time/part-time) or 24/48 months of MPhil (Full-time/Part-time). Starting from AY 2019/2020, PhD students are expected to complete the programme in the 4-year period (full-time).