The Faculty offers two research-based degrees, namely Master of Philosophy (MPhil), & Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). Our MPhil and PhD students are supervised by a Department-based scholar and choose additional supervisors from the same or other Departments, or other universities.
Our Global Distinctiveness
The distinctive features of our programmes are:
- Emphasis on trans-disciplinary problem solving.
- Global diversity. Our current and recent graduates come from Hong Kong, China, and a further 14 countries across Asia, Europe, Africa and North America.
- Financial and professional support for conference participation and overseas placements.
- Caring and cohesive graduate community. Our students have an effective voice in Faculty governance, and network with/ learn from peers from across our social sciences disciplines, all housed in one building.
- Opportunities to take courses and attend lecture across Hong Kong's universities and to access data and field across China and South East Asia.
- A flexible range of funding models including government scholarships, Faculty schoalrships, and Department scholarship
Applicants seeking admission to the MPhil programme have a good bachelor's degree with honours from a recognized university or an equivalent qualification. For the PhD programme, applicants have either a master's degree or a strong bachelor's degree from a recognised university//institution.
For the conferment of MPhil/PhD degree, students are required to take coursework, complete an approved programme of supervised research, present the findings of their research in a thesis or dissertation, and pass the oral examination of the written thesis. Students admitted in or before AY 2018/19 are expected to complete the programme in 36/72 months of PhD (full-time/part-time), or 24/48 months of MPhil (Full-time/Part-time). Starting from AY 2019/2020, PhD students are expected to complete the programme in 4-year period (full-time).
One Faculty Seven Departments
Our academic expertise lies with academic staff in our seven departments. They conduct a wide range of research study covering different specialisations. Please browse details of their research interests here.
Applications for programmes are made through Graduate School of the Hong Kong Baptist University. For admission related enquiries, please contact the Graduate School:
Tel: (852) 3411 5127
Fax: (852) 3411 7373
Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS)
HKPFS is established by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC) with an aim to attract the best and brightest students from all over the world to pursue their PhD studies in Hong Kong. The scheme is calling for application for 2019/2020 admission. Know more from this website.
Tuition Waiver for Local Research Postgraduate (RPg) Students
Starting from 2018/19 academic year, the HKSAR Government will provide tuition waiver for all local students enrolled in UGC-funded RPg programmes. All local students enrolled in UGC-funded RPg programmes will be provided with tuition waiver. Know more details from this website.
Research Support for Research Students